Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Life Olympics

It is a good thing that I'm not an Olympic gymnast. First of all, my age might be a little stumbling block. It definitely would NOT be good to have my joints and bones creak more than the uneven bars. Secondly, my fear of heights would keep me from even attempting to go any higher than 2 feet over the vault. And going over the vault sideways or upside down or any other way where I'd feel a little out of control and could hurt myself? No, thank you. Thirdly, I'd think it would be fairly important to have some kind of abdominal muscles to do any type of gymnastics, and yeah ... we won't discuss my abs. Not at all. So don't even try. And lastly, if something hurts, I am NOT going to want to do it repeatedly (the only exception to this in my life was having four children, but notice that four is the magic number for me -- I didn't do it daily for years!). No, I was NOT cut out to be an Olympic gymnast.

I love watching them though. I can't help but admire the height they get as they go over the vault (better them than me!). I'm in awe of the way they can move, and bend, and contort. And balancing on that beam (which is just 4 inches wide, by the way!)? Puh-lease! I have a hard time balancing on my high heels!!

It's exciting to see what these gymnasts can do. They're the best of the best. The cream of the crop. Their mommas must be so proud. But the thing that stands out the most to me is their determination and their perseverence. I'm sure that when they were tiny little girls who went to the gym the first day, they didn't do incredible floor routines or death-defying tricks on the balance beam. Pointing their toes when they learned to walk, working up to a sommersault, actually climbing UP on the balance beam and just walking across it -- that was probably more what happened. It took years of practice, of failure, of continuing on when it got difficult, of determination. But these are the very things that led to these Olympic gymnasts' success.

These are the same things that lead to my success as well. No, I don't do elaborate gymnastic floor routines ... but I've played on the floor with my children and grandchildren. No, I don't swing through the air on the uneven bars ... but I've journeyed through an uneven life with my husband. No, I  don't vault my body up in the air ... but I've vaulted in to the unknown and established relationships with people I never knew. No, I don't walk the narrow balance beam ... but I've walked with my Lord. In every single one of my relationships, in every single aspect of my life where God is leading and teaching me, determination and perseverance is required. Just as He doesn't give up, so I'm to hang in there as well. And, at the end of the day, I won't be standing on a podium and receiving a gold medal. Instead, I'll be approaching a throne and will hear a "Well done, thou good and faithful servant."

And THAT is worth it all ...

No comments:

Post a Comment