Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Sci-Fi 2012

Another new year? You've got to be kidding me! I've just NOW gotten to where I consistently remember to write 2011. I don't know if I'll ever totally remember 2012. And doesn't 2012 sound really sci-fi? Like it's not a real date ... just a number that's been thrown out there in the cosmic future.

Okay, enough of my ramblings about how I can't believe it's 2012. Since it's my tradition to review the past year in a blog -- well, if tradition accurately describes the second time I've done this -- then I'm ready to get started showing you all of the wonderful things going on in our lives. Now that I think about it, this might take the place of a Christmas letter! Aren't you excited?!?!

Biggest news? We had a wedding in our family and added another wonderful daughter-in-law. She's a Texan that has adjusted well to Oklahoma, and we're blessed to have her. She fits in well with this wacky family and helps to class us up a little bit.

We got to keep our littlest grandbaby for a week. Oh my goodness, we're definitely older than when we had our own babies!! But, it was a fun time for all of us -- well, at least, it was for me! I loved the time with her and hated to give her back to her mommy and daddy.

After years and years and years of being an Oklahoma State Cowboy fan ... after years and years and years of being disappointed or dismayed after football season ... after years and years and years of being on the losing end of the spectrum (you get the picture!), we celebrated with an incredible football season. Man! I get excited just thinking about all of those games! Seriously, I'd like a repeat of the 2011 football season for 2012 ... and 2013 ... and 2014 ... and so on.
Wes's dad went home to be with the Lord this year. Sometimes it seems like it's still not real. We find ourselves telling different stories -- about how he liked to play card games, about his competiveness, about his love for sports, his dry sense of humor, his "grampa" sandwiches. We miss him a lot, but know that he wouldn't trade places at all. He's seeing Jesus' face!

Our oldest granddaughter was the star of her ballet recital ... and the star of her soccer team ... and the star of her choir program ... and the star of her Christmas program ... you get where I'm going with this, right? Yes, she's OUR little star. Oh! And she's learned to read this year. I've heard her! She likes to read books to her Nammy, and Nammy loves hearing her!

And just because I love this picture, I have to include it. It's my precious little family ... all of those kiddos that grew up in our home, some of whom have gone on to create homes and families of their own. There's never a boring moment when we're all together, especially when they all come home and manage to bring all of their dogs along with them! It's always a highlight of any time for Wes and me when all of our kids are around.

We've had two different major surgeries in our family this year (unfortunately, having a surgery DOES seem to be an Allen family tradition) ... moved kids from one place to another (several times!) ... Wes and I celebrated 33 years of being together (from our first blind date in Stillwater in 1978) ... we became actively involved with an incredible group of young mommies and their babies in Teen MOPS ... and life is once again very good in the Allen household.

We're assured of God's love for us, convinced of His provision and protection, and grateful for His blessings. Even more, we're looking forward to what He's going to do in the future. The comfort is knowing that He already has it planned out and the prayer is that we'll be sensitive to seeing His fingerprints over all of it.

Bring it on, 2012!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment