Pages

Monday, April 22, 2019

He Is Like A Tree ...

"Blessed is the man 
who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers,
but his delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on His law he meditates day and night.
He is like a tree
planted by streams of water
that yields its fruit in its season,
and its leaf does not wither.
In all that he does, he prospers."
Psalm 1:1-3

My husband is in the tree and lawn business, but he particularly loves working with trees. So, he'll talk about them ... and I listen and learn. I find myself, when I read about trees in God's Word, perking up and drawing that in to the knowledge that my husband has taught me. So, this first psalm, as I'm beginning my study in the Psalms, immediately caught my attention.

Blessed ... happy is the man ... who what? The man who delights in the Word of God, who makes the Word of God a constant focus. The man who applies it., who studies it, who knows it. He's blessed because he knows the proper way to take. He doesn't veer off course and follow those who think they know the way, because he's following the One Who DOES know the way.

This same man, the one who delights in the Word of the Lord, is compared to a tree. The interesting part is that the word "planted" in verse 3 in the Hebrew is means to be transplanted. In other words, the tree was in one spot, and then moved to another. Transplanted. Just like me! I might think I'm in the optimal place. I've got all that my small mind thinks I need. I'm going along with my plans and my schedules ... and suddenly, I find myself uprooted! I'm taken out of my comfort zone and put where I truly need to be, where my roots will go deep. 

I imagine a tree sapling doesn't particularly like being transplanted. It can be traumatic, and on first view, it might appear that the tiny tree won't make it. But a master gardener knows the best place for this tree to be. He knows what kind of soil it needs to prosper. He knows where it will be the best for the proper amount of water. He knows how to give the tree the care it needs to thrive. And, even if the transplanting isn't particularly welcomed, the new tree will do well in the optimal environment. A tree with deep roots, planted by streams of water, will be nourished in the midst of drought. While a storm is raging, it's strengthened to be able to withstand.

A healthy tree will be fruitful. The interesting thing is that a tree yields its fruit in its season. An apple tree doesn't produces apples year round. A peach tree isn't constantly heavy with juicy, golden peaches on its limbs. Cherries only are evident in a certain season. And though the leaves might fall in the autumn due to the needed rest and protection from the harsh winters, spring is coming! That healthy tree will bud out and begin once more to produce.

So, what do I learn from this psalm on the tree?

More than anything, I need to trust that my Father in heaven knows what's best for me, and that His heart's desire is for me to have that best, regardless of the circumstances or "transplanting" going on around me. When I delight in God's Word and root myself in it, allow myself to be nourished, I too can withstand those certain times of drought and storm. Difficult periods of life are a certainty, but so is the ability to withstand those times if I'm rooted in Him and His Word.

And, like a tree, there will be seasons of fruitfulness and beauty, seasons of growth and production. Usually, those times will most often appear after a time of rest, maybe even after a time of darkness. One thing is certain. God doesn't waste the winter protection on the trees, and He doesn't waste the periods of darkness and repair for me either. Knowing Him, being in His Word -- it's life.

Spring always, always comes after the winter -- for the tree, and for me. Blessed is the man ... 




No comments:

Post a Comment