Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I Hear Voices ...

Yes, I do. I admit it. I hear voices ... all the time. They say things to me like ...
Check your shoes before you go out of the bathroom for toilet paper that might be attached.
Look both ways before crossing the street ... or before you pull out in traffic.
Always check your teeth after you eat broccoli. Ewwww.
Usually it's better to not win the fight and just keep your mouth shut.

I'm thankful for my voices. There was a period of many years where I chose to ignore those voices. You know the ones ...
What is the right thing to do here?
If you have to hide this from people, why are you doing it?
Does doing this truly make you happy? So, why are you feeling so empty?
Even though you don't want me, I'm still here ...

Yup, THOSE voices. Or in particular, THAT voice. The one that convicted me and challenged me to go along that straight and narrow road, that encouraged me to break away from the pack and to listen to the ancient words. The voice that seemed determined for me to look beyond myself to something bigger, something lasting, something more. Looking back now, however, I see that that voice was also the very one that was whispering the truth to me in the midst of many other voices screaming different philosophies and ideas. It's the same voice that comforts me when our family faces tragedy ... the same voice that continues to teach me ... the same voice that reassures me of a fantastic and forgiving love. It's the voice that I now recognize and welcome.

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you,
saying, "This is the way; walk in it."
Isaiah 30:21

No comments:

Post a Comment